There is a tidal wave of tooth decay overtaking Lancaster County and communities across the United States. Many of the oral problems and challenges facing individuals and communities are 100% preventable with appropriate education and support. We know what works and making small changes in the lives of individuals and communities can make a huge difference in efforts to improve oral health. Some easy steps that sometimes are not that easy:
- Brushing Your Teeth at least twice a day for 2 minutes using proper technique and appropriate tooth brushes and tooth pastes.
- Including Fluoride in our community water supplies can help reduce decay and actually slow the progression of existing tooth decay.
- Visiting the dentist twice a year for regular cleaning and check-ups.
Part of the commitment of CHI St. Joseph Children’s Health to fully addressing the oral health needs of children in Lancaster County is to bring together groups and resources to comprehensively address the challenges faced by children and families in Lancaster County. Working together, we can address the seemingly overwhelming dental needs currently challenging our community and begin to turn the tide, reducing future decay through enhanced oral health education, increased access to services and commonsense prevention strategies.
Past Community Initiative Grant Recipients for Oral Health Initiatives have included:
- Lancaster General Health Dental Residency Program
- Pennsylvania Coalition on Oral Health
- SouthEast Lancaster Health Services